Friday, September 30, 2011

Burning Man, 2011

This year at Burning Man, I was one of that small, select group of people who took photographs with old school photographic film. Whereas everyone else on the playa got instantaneous feedback which each click of the shutter, I had to wait two full weeks to see whether I'd remembered to remove the lens cap!

As it happened, I'm pretty damn proud of the photos I took.Out of the roughly 180 shots that were developed, there were around 90 that I liked well enough to want to show to people--not bad! However, I do realize that just dumping a hundred-odd photos on the web and making a slide show is a little unpleasant, so I've divided them up into sections based on subject matter, and posted them all here. With the exception of the two photos of me, I took all of these--please click on the images to see a larger view.

I also tried to write a little bit about what each thing meant to me, and to tell some other stories that weren't captured on film. On the other hand, if you'd rather just see a giant, context-less slideshow, click here.
  • The Temple--possibly my favorite structure on the playa, this and every year
  • The Man--the whole point of the thing--burn him!
  • Snowflake Village--my camp, the place I call Home in Black Rock City
  • Charon--my favorite piece of art this year
  • Toyzilla--another really cool art piece
  • Art--some other amazing pieces that I saw this year
  • Art Cars--a few of the cool mutant vehicles
  • People--portraits of my fellow citizens
  • Finally, here are the notes I wrote up from last year's trip to Black Rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment